Saturday, March 6, 2010

Tsumami kanzashi sunflowers

My finished tsumami kanzashi sunflowers will serve as brooches, identifying the six ladies in charge of a conference they're arranging soon. It's a neat idea I think - if you need to talk to someone in charge, just look for the sunflower! :)
-
I made a prototype earlier using a rounded fold, which is probably the most commonly used folding technique. After some searching for something with a closer resemblance to sunflower petals, I came across a few techniques for pointed petals. This particular one is asymmetrical, something that's showcased well when the flower is sligthly squashed in the center like this, twisting the petals and giving the flower a pinwheel/spiral look. Quite simply explained, this petal is made by folding a 3 1/4" square piece of fabric over itself four times and snipping off the raw edges. You can see some WIP pics here. The button and backing piece (with safety pin for attatching to clothes) were simply glued on with ordinary craft glue.
-
If you want to have a go at making your own, I've got a few tutorial links for you!
Kanzashi in Bloom excerpt (rounded petal and assembly instructions)
Tutorial at Deviant Art (three petals and more links)
Gochemoche's tutorial (two petals)

ETA (18.03.10/19.03.10): I've added this post to this week's Strutt Your Stuff Thursday at Somewhat Simple, a blog I recently discovered. There are so many fun projects to be found there! I was also invited to add it to the very first edition of Favourite Things Friday at A Few of my Favourite Things, and of course I had to join in the fun. :) Thank you for your lovely comments!

8 comments:

  1. Those are cool! Come stop by my Favorite Things Friday Party if you would like to join in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful project! They are really beautiful! I love sunflowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sunflowers! These are way too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been featured at: http://fabricbowsandmore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love sunflowers, I am glad you made some. You did a good job. I did make a sunflower too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment! I read and enjoy every single one! :)
Because of a sudden surge of spam lately, I've decided to disable anonymous comments, in hope of eliminating the problem. Thank you for your patience. :)